Inderal LA (Propranolol Hydrochloride) is used to treat irregular heartbeats, shaking, and high blood pressure. It is used after a heart attack to improve the chance of survival. Lowering high blood pressure helps prevent heart attacks, strokes, and kidney problems.
This medication may also be used to prevent migraine headaches and chest pain. Preventing chest pain may help improve your ability to exercise.
How does Inderal LA (Propranolol Hydrochloride) work?
Inderal LA (Propranolol Hydrochloride) works by reducing the workload of the heart. It also blocks the release of a substance called renin from the kidneys. The beta-blocking properties help to control heart rhythm and delay the start of chest pain. It also prevents migraines and lessens tremors.
Why use Inderal LA (Propranolol Hydrochloride)?
Inderal LA contains an active ingredient of Propranolol Hydrochloride. It is a type of medication known as beta blockers. It is formulated to provide a sustained release of Propranolol Hydrochloride. It is available as 60 mg, 80 mg, 120 mg, and 160 mg capsules for oral use. This was approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA).
How to use Inderal LA (Propranolol Hydrochloride)?
The dosage is based on your condition, age, weight, and response to it. It is to be taken by mouth with a full glass of water. Remember to take it in the same way and at the same time every day. It is important to take each dose exactly as it is prescribed. Swallow the capsule as a whole. Do not chew or break it. It may take 1-2 weeks before you get the full benefit of this medication.
For irregular heartbeats, the starting dose is 80 mg once a day. It should gradually increase at 3-7 day intervals.
For high blood pressure, the dosage may be at 80 mg once a day. Whether it may be used alone or added to a diuretic.
What are the side-effects of Inderal LA (Propranolol Hydrochloride)?
- Tiredness as your body adjusts to the medicine
- Stomach pain or cramps
- Vision changes
- Insomnia or trouble sleeping
Warnings and Precautions
- Let your doctor know if you are taking another medication (vitamins or herbal products).
- Inform your doctor if you have any medical history.
- If there is a sign of an overdose, call your doctor right away.
- If you are pregnant or breastfeeding women, consult your doctor first.
- Do not twice the prescribed dosage. It may cause another complication.
- This drug should not be used to treat another medical condition.
- Keep this at a dry and clean place away from heat or moisture.