Acamprosate Calcium (Campral) is used as part of a comprehensive alcohol dependence treatment program that includes counselling. This is for people who are alcohol-dependent. This will help them keep from drinking alcohol after they have stopped.
Why use Acamprosate Calcium (Campral)?
Acamprosate Calcium (Campral) belongs to the family of medications known as alcohol abstinence aids. It restores the balance of chemicals in the brain that influences alcohol dependence. This medication is approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA). You can buy this here at its very affordable price.
How does Acamprosate Calcium (Campral) work?
Acamprosate Calcium (Campral) affects the substances in the brain that may be unstable to those who are dependent to alcohol. This helps restore the chemical stability in the brain. It is used with behavior adjustment and counselling to help the person who has to choose to quit drinking alcohol. This medication will not be helpful if you have not stopped drinking or undergone detoxification. This will be useless if you are also addicted to other substances other than alcohol.
How to use Acamprosate Calcium (Campral)?
Start taking Acamprosate Calcium (Campral) as soon as you’ve decided to stop drinking alcohol. You can take it with or without food. Swallow it as a whole and do not chew or break it. Follow all the prescription. Do not take in larger or smaller amounts without consulting. Inform your doctor about any drinks you take in, no matter what the quantity is. Do not double the dose of this medication.
What are the side-effects of Acamprosate Calcium (Campral)?
Here are the possible side-effects that may happen while you are using this treatment:
- Allergic reactions (hives, swelling, and difficulty in breathing)
- Mood changes
- Severe anxiety
- Loss of appetite
- Dry mouth
- Sweating or itching
If these continue or worsen, call your doctor or pharmacist immediately.
Warnings and Precautions
The things that you need to be precautious with are the following:
- Before taking this medication tell to your doctor if you allergic to any substance of this.
- This may make you feel drowsy or dizzy. Do not do anything that needs your alertness.
- Inform your doctor if are taking other medications like vitamins or herbal supplements.
- This medicine will only be used when necessary for pregnant women.
- Do not use this for other medication. This is specifically used for a certain condition.
- Do take it if it’s already past the expiration date.