The existing pandemic caused by the spread of the new coronavirus infection worldwide has led the different governments to enforce containment measures. These measures include decreasing the movement of people from their homes and the use of smart work wherever possible. This involves a change in our everyday life especially in terms of dealing with our eating habits and physical activity.
Concerning the present situation, taking care to sustain a balanced lifestyle is very important to protect our physical and mental health. Below are some bits of advice that deal with appropriate lifestyles at this time.
It is essential to adopt a varied and balanced diet, to make sure a healthy supply of all the nutrients necessary for the proper functioning of our body.
Tips for healthy eating:
- Eat a variety of foods
- Drink plenty of water each day
- Limit the use of sugar and salt
- Eat food that gives at least 25 grams of dietary fiber each day
- Always have a healthy breakfast
- Eat at least 5 portions a day between vegetables and fruits. Remember that fruit juice can never replace fresh fruit.
- Eat cereals daily
- Eat frozen or fresh fish at least 2 to 3 times a week
- Limit the consumption of red meat, foods rich in fat, and sugary drinks
Remember that alcohol is not food. There is no safe and suggested quantity. Your health should refrain from drinking alcohol. If you drink alcohol, limit the amount you drink and never exceed the low-risk drinking threshold. Moreover, remember never to drink during working hours or on an empty stomach.
To stay healthy, you need to move. Even at home in the current situation, a short time of exercise every day becomes essential not only for our health but also for our psychological well-being. Physical activity lessens anxiety and stress. It also improves mood and sleep quality.
Children need to be physically active, play and devote less time sitting in front of screens. There are some activities you can do at home:
- Skipping around the house or jumping on one foot
- Dancing to music
- You can ask your children to help with small chores, cooking, or doing small gardening jobs
Sustaining an active lifestyle during a pandemic is a challenge, as opportunities to be physically active seem to be more limited. Therefore, it is even more important to plan our daily physical activity and lessen the time we spend in a sitting position. In this time, to stay active we can:
- Dance to music
- As much as possible you can climb stairs
- Play with children
- Do household chores while listening to music
- Take part in free online exercise classes
- Do a series of push-ups
- Alternating between sitting and standing position regularly
- Do some muscle-strengthening activities
- If you have gym equipment at homes such as small weights exercise bikes, elastics, and treadmills, you can use it
- Run and jump on site
- Skip and jump rope
- Repeatedly climb up and down a step
- If you are working from home, take active breaks for a few minutes every half hour