Bevyxxa (Betrixaban) Capsules is indicated to prevent serious blood clots from forming in people who have a serious illness. This may possibly happen to those who are in the hospital and at an increased risk for blood clots like by being bedridden.
How do Bevyxxa (Betrixaban) Capsules work?
Bevyxxa (Betrixaban) is an oral FXa inhibitor that selectively blocks the active site of FXa. It does not require a cofactor such as Anti-thrombin III for action. Betrixaban inhibits free prothrombinase activity and free FXa. By directly preventing FXa, Betrixaban cuts thrombin generation. Betrixaban has no straight result on platelet aggregation.
Why use Bevyxxa (Betrixaban) Capsules?
Bevyxxa (Betrixaban) is a factor Xa (FXa) inhibitor. This medication is available for oral administration in strengths of 80 mg and 40 mg. This is contraindicated in patients with active pathological bleeding and severe hypersensitivity reaction to this medication. The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has approved this treatment.
How to use Bevyxxa (Betrixaban) Capsules?
The recommended dosage for this medication depends on your condition and response. This is a short-term medication, usually taken 35-42 days. You may take this at the same time each day, once daily and with food. The initial single dose for this medication is 160mg and followed by 80mg. Your doctor will decide how long you should take Bevyxxa. Do not stop or change your dose without consulting your doctor. This treatment does not require blood monitoring. Take your next dose at your usual time the next day if you missed a dose. Do not double the dose to make up for the missed one.
What are the side-effects of Bevyxxa (Betrixaban) Capsules?
- Blood in urine
- Urinary tract infection (UTI)
- High blood pressure (hypertension)
- Low blood potassium (hypokalemia)
Tell your doctor right away if you have any signs of serious bleeding:
- Unusual pain or discomfort
- Unusual bruising
- Bleeding from cuts or gums that doesn’t stop
- Unusually heavy/lasting menstrual flow
Warnings and Precautions
- Before using this treatment, tell your doctor if you have medical history especially of kidney or liver disease, bleeding problems, or recent major injury/surgery.
- Let your doctor know if you are allergic to this medication or if you have any allergies.
- If you are pregnant or breastfeeding women, consult your doctor first before using this.
- Do not take this longer than prescribed.
- Keep this away from the reach of children or from your pets.