Where is Biperiden Hydrochloride used?
Biperiden is a medication used to relieve symptoms of Parkinson’s disease such as:
- Poor muscle control
This medicine can also be used to prevent and treat muscular conditions that are caused by drugs such as:
How does Biperiden Hydrochloride work?
Biperiden Hydrochlorideworks by helping to correct the chemical imbalance that is common in Parkinson’s disease. It is a weak peripheral anticholinergic agent, whose function is linked to the decrease or blockage of acetylcholine. Acetylcholine is a neurotransmitter that is found in the junctions between muscle cells and nerve cells as well as other sites of the central nervous system, carrying signals between cells.
Parkinson’s disease is considered to be the result of an imbalance between the excitatory and inhibitory systems in the nervous system. Biperiden Hydrochloridecompetes with acetylcholine called a competitive antagonism at the excitatory system, restoring this imbalance.
How is Biperiden Hydrochloride taken?
Before taking Biperiden Hydrochloride, inform your doctor if you have:
- Epilepsy or another seizure disorder
- Enlarged prostate or difficulty urinating
- Heart disease or an irregular heartbeat
- Kidney or liver disease
- Depression or any other psychiatric illness
You cannot take Biperiden Hydrochloride if you have:
- Ever had an allergic reaction to it
- Narrow-angle glaucoma
- Myasthenia gravis
- An obstruction in your bowel or a complication of bowel disease known as megacolon
Take this medicine exactly as ordered by your doctor to improve your condition as much as possible. Do not take more of it, more often, and for a longer time than your doctor ordered. The recommended dosage will depend on your medical condition and response.
This medicine may be taken once or several times a day. The maximum amount that must be taken in any one day is eight tablets which could be 16 mg. You may take each dose with food to lessen stomach irritation. Take the medicine with a full glass of water. To help you remember, take it at the same time and in the same way each day. Follow the instructions of your doctor carefully. If you missed a dose, call your doctor for instructions.
What are the possible side effects of Biperiden Hydrochloride?
- A dry mouth
- Nervousness or anxiety
- Difficulty urinating or constipation
- Upset stomach
- Large pupils or blurred vision
- Decreased sweating
If you experience any of the following serious side effects, stop taking this medication and call for emergency medical help:
- An allergic reaction such as hives difficulty breathing, the closing of your throat, and swelling of your face lips, or tongue
- Fast or irregular heartbeat
- Eye pain
- Unusual fever
What are the precautions in using Biperiden Hydrochloride?
- Use caution when operating machinery, driving, or doing other harmful activities. This drug may cause blurred vision or dizziness. If you experience such things, avoid these activities.
- Use alcohol carefully. Alcohol can increase dizziness and drowsiness while you are taking this medication.
- Avoid also from becoming overheated. This drug may cause reduced sweating which may lead to heatstroke in hot weather or with strong exercise.
- Do not take this medication without first talking to your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.