Bystolic (Nebivolol) is used for the treatment of hypertension or high blood pressure. Lowering high blood pressure helps prevent strokes, kidney problems, and heart attacks. This can be used alone or in combination with other medications to lower mild-to-moderate high blood pressure.
How does Bystolic (Nebivolol) work?
Bystolic (Nebivolol) is believed to lessen blood pressure. It is by relaxing the muscles surrounding the blood vessels allowing blood to flow more easily. This also reduces the heart rate and the production of chemicals in the kidney. Those are responsible for causing increased blood pressure.
Why use Bystolic (Nebivolol)?
Bystolic (Nebivolol) belongs to the class of medications called selective beta-blockers. Beta-blockers affect the heart and circulation or the blood flow through arteries and veins. This medication comes in 2.5mg, 5mg, 10mg, and 20mg for oral administration. The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has approved this medication.
How to use Bystolic (Nebivolol)?
The recommended starting dosage is 5mg taken once daily for adults. Your doctor may increase the dose slowly up to a maximum of 20mg taken once daily. Take it at the same time each day or as directed by your doctor. You may take this with or without food. If your doctor has prescribed you a different dose, follow it carefully.
What are the side-effects of Bystolic (Nebivolol)?
Contact your doctor if you these side effects and they are severe or bothersome.
- Dry mouth
- Back or joint pain
- Throat irritation and nasal congestion
- Trouble sleeping
- Vision changes
If these happen, call your doctor right away.
- Memory problems
- Breathing difficulty
- Decreased heart rate
- Fainting or severe dizziness
- Vision problems
Stop taking this medication and call for medical help.
- Chest pain
- Signs of a serious allergic reaction (nausea, vomiting, stomach cramps, or difficulty breathing)
- Signs of heart attack (sweating, anxiety, vomiting, nausea, sudden chest pain, or pain radiating to back, down arm, jaw)
Warnings and Precautions
- Do not stop taking or skip doses without talking to your doctor first.
- This may impair your thinking or reactions. Be careful if you do anything that needs your alertness or if you drive.
- Tell your doctor if you have any medical history or current medications.
- If you are pregnant or breastfeeding women, consult your doctor first before using this.
- Store this medication at room temperature away from moisture and heat.
- keep this far from the reach of children.