Chlorambucil is used to treat a certain type of cancer of the blood and lymph nodes. These types include:
- Chronic lymphocytic leukemia – a type of cancer of the white blood cells
- Hodgkin’s disease – this begins in certain white blood cells that normally fight infection
This medication is not curative in any of these disorders but this will help relieve its symptoms.
How does Chlorambucil work?
Chlorambucil works in three different actions:
- Attachment of alkyl groups to DNA bases resulting in the DNA being fragmented by repair enzymes in their attempts to replace the alkylated bases. It also prevents DNA synthesis and RNA transcription from the affected DNA.
- DNA damage via the formation of cross-links which prevents DNA from being separated for synthesis or transcription.
- The induction of mispairing of the nucleotides leading to mutations
Why use Chlorambucil?
Chlorambucil belongs to the class of drugs known as alkylating agents. This helps to stop or slow the growth of cancer cells. Chlorambucil is an aromatic nitrogen mustard derivative. This is available in tablet form for oral use. Each tablet contains 2 mg of Chlorambucil. This is a prescription approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA).
How to use Chlorambucil?
The recommended dosage is based on your medical condition and response. It is important that you take this medicine exactly as it is prescribed. Do not take it more or less than it is given by your doctor.
Chlorambucil is to be taken by mouth. Swallow the tablet as a whole with a full glass of water. Usually, this is taken once a day. Drink plenty of fluids to prevent side effects. For the best result, take it regularly. Let your doctor know if your condition does not improve or if it gets worse.
What are the side effects of Chlorambucil?
- Shaking or tremors
- Pain or burning
- Tingling feeling
Warnings and Precautions
- Before taking this medicine, tell your doctor if you are allergic to it. This drug may contain an inactive ingredient that causes an allergic reaction.
- Let your doctor know if you have any medical history or current medications.
- Do not use this to treat any other conditions without the prescription of a doctor.
- You should not share this with others even if they have the same symptoms as yours.
- Do not have vaccinations or immunizations while taking this medication without the consent of your doctor.
- Keep this at a dry and clean place away from the heat and moisture.