Dostinex (Cabergoline) is indicated to treat high levels of prolactin hormone in your body. The said hormone is produced by the pituitary gland in the brain. Having high levels of prolactin in women may cause symptoms like;
- Missed periods
- Unwanted breastfeed
- Can cause difficulty becoming pregnant
This condition also happens in men. It may cause symptoms such as:
- Enlarged breasts
- Decreased sexual ability/desire
How does Dostinex (Cabergoline) work?
Dostinex (Cabergoline) works by imitating the action of a substance in the brain called dopamine. This medication decreases the making of prolactin from the pituitary gland. It is by acting on dopamine receptors found on the pituitary gland.
The secretion of prolactin by the anterior pituitary is generally under hypothalamic inhibitory control. It is likely used through the release of dopamine by tuberoinfundibular neurons. This medication is a long-acting dopamine receptor agonist with a high affinity for D2 receptors.
Why use Dostinex (Cabergoline)?
Dostinex contains Cabergoline as an active ingredient. It is a type of medicine called a dopamine agonist. It is a white powder soluble in ethyl alcohol and chloroform. This medication is for oral administration that has 0.5mg of Cabergoline. The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approved this treatment.
How to use Dostinex (Cabergoline)?
This medication comes in a tablet form. The dose and dosing schedule depends on your condition and response. This is usually taken twice each week for about 6 months. You may take it with or without food. Do not take the medicine every day unless it is prescribed by your doctor.
What are the side-effects of Dostinex (Cabergoline)?
- Stomach pain, nausea, vomiting
- Indigestion, constipation, gas
- Headache, dizziness, depressed mood,
- Spinning sensation, nervousness, drowsiness
- Hot flashes, numbness, dry mouth
Stop taking the medicine and call your doctor right away if these happen:
- Feeling like you might pass out
- Feeling short of breath on exertion
- Chest discomfort
- Dry cough or hack, lower back pain
- Loss of appetite, rapid weight loss
- Feeling weak or tired
- Urinating less than usual or not at all
- Swelling in your ankles or feet
Warnings and Precautions
- Before using this medication, tell your doctor if you have allergies.
- Let also your doctor know if you have any medical history or current medications (herbal supplements/vitamins)
- If you are pregnant or breastfeeding women, consult first your doctor.
- This tablet absorbs moisture. You should always replace the cap after taking your tablets. Do not transfer your tablets to another container and do no remove the special desiccant granules for the cap.