Montelukast Sodium is indicated to prevent the wheezing and shortness of breath caused by asthma. This lessens the number of asthma attacks. Montelukast Sodium is used regularly and before exercise to prevent breathing problems during exercise. This medication may also be used to relieve symptoms of hay fever and allergic rhinitis such as:
- Runny/stuffy/itchy nose
How do Montelukast Sodium Tablets work?
Montelukast Sodium helps decrease inflammation and nasal congestion. This can help prevent reactions to triggers by keeping the airways to your lungs open. Montelukast Sodium helps improve symptoms of asthma as well as seasonal and year-round allergies. It also helps prevent breathing problems during or after exercise.
Why use Montelukast Sodium Tablets?
Montelukast Sodium belongs to the group of medications called leukotriene receptor antagonists. This can help decrease the number of times you need to use your rescue inhaler. This medication usually starts to work within one day. Montelukast Sodium is a prescription approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA). This is supplied as tablets for oral use. Each tablet is available in the strength of 10 mg.
How to use Montelukast Sodium Tablets?
This medication is to be taken by mouth. Swallow the medicine as a whole with a full glass of water. You may take each dose with or without food. Take Montelukast Sodium at the same time each day. The dosage is based on your medical condition, age, and response to the treatment. It is very important that you follow carefully the prescription of your doctor. Do not take this medication more or less than it is given. Let your doctor know if your condition gets worse or does not improve.
What are the side effects of Montelukast Sodium Tablets?
Common side effects:
- Skin rash
- Stomach pain
- Tooth pain
- Mood changes
- Stuffy nose
- Sore throat
Warnings and Precautions
- Do not use if you are allergic to it. Tell your doctor if you have any allergies.
- Let your doctor know if you have any medical history or current medications.
- Call your doctor right away if your breathing problem gets worse.
- Consult your doctor first if you are pregnant or breastfeeding women. You may need to discuss the risks and benefits.
- If there are any signs of an allergic reaction, call for medical help right away.
- Keep this drug far from the reach of children.