Nystatin is used for:
- Preventing and treating Candida infections of the mouth, throat, and intestines
- Preventing oral thrush in babies born to mothers with vaginal thrush
Candida infections commonly occur in warm moist body areas. It is by far the most common type of yeast infection. The infection results from an overgrowth of yeast anywhere in the body.
How does Nystatin work?
Nystatin works by binding to a substance called ergosterol, which is an essential component of fungal cell membranes. This disrupts the cell membrane causing holes to appear in it.
For their survival, the cell membranes of fungi are vital. They keep unwanted substances from entering the cells. They also stop the contents of the cells from leaking out. Essential constituents of the fungal cells can leak out as this drug reasons to holes that appear in the cell membranes. This kills the fungi and treats the infection.
Why use Nystatin?
Nystatin is an antifungal prescription that kills yeasts and fungi. It is by interfering with their cell membranes. This comes as a topical powder for dermatologic use. The topical powder contains 100,000 USP Nystatin Units per gram dispersed in talc. Nystatin is a prescription approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA).
How to use Nystatin?
The recommended dosage for this medication is based on your medical condition, age, and response. You should not take more or less of the prescribed dosage. It may worsen your condition or may cause another complication.
Shake well before using and use the provided dropper carefully to measure the dose. Place half of the dose in one side of the mouth. Swish it around the mouth, gargle, and then spit out as directed. Nystatin is usually used 4 times a day or as directed by your doctor. After using the medication, avoid eating at least 5 to 20 minutes.
What are the side effects of Nystatin?
- Skin irritation
- Severe dizziness
- Trouble breathing
Warnings and Precautions
- Before using, let your doctor know if you have a medical history of diabetes, kidney disease, or HIV disease.
- Tell your doctor if you are allergic to Nystatin. Tell as well if you have any allergies.
- This product contains sugar. Caution is advised if you have diabetes.
- Do not share this with others even if they have the same symptoms as yours.
- If you missed a dose, call your doctor right away for instructions.
- Keep this at room temperature far from heat and moisture.