Acyclovir (Zovirax) is used to treat certain virus infections. This is for infections which are caused by herpes viruses. Those are genital herpes, shingles, cold sores, and chicken pox. This is used to help reduce the number of future episodes in people with frequent outbreaks.
Why use Acyclovir (Zovirax)?
Acyclovir (Zovirax) belongs to the class of medications called antivirals. This helps slow the development of the virus in your body. The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approved this medication in the year 1980. You can buy this here at its very affordable price.
How does Acyclovir (Zovirax) work?
Acyclovir (Zovirax) works by lowering the ability of the herpes virus to multiply in your body. This is a synthetic acyclic purine nucleoside analog. It is a substrate with a high degree of specificity for herpes simplex. Acyclovir is selectively converted to its active form in herpes virus-infected cells. It is also preferentially taken up by these cells. The inhibition of the virus reduces the period of viral shedding. It limits the degree of spread, level of pathology, and thereby facilitates healing. Acyclovir aborts episodes of recurrent herpes due to inhibition of viral replication following reactivation.
How to use Acyclovir (Zovirax)?
The prescribed dosage for this medication will depend on your condition and response. This is usually taken 2 to 5 time daily and taken by mouth with/without food.
If you are using the liquid form, before each dose shake the bottle well. By using a special measuring spoon, carefully measure the dose. When started at the first sign of an outbreak, this works best. Do not change or stop this treatment without consulting your doctor. To avoid complications, do not twice the dose.
What are the side-effects of Acyclovir (Zovirax)?
- Signs of kidney problems
- Mood changes
- Unsteady or shaky movement
- Trouble speaking
- A serious allergic reaction is rare
If these side effects continue and worsen, call your doctor right away.
Warnings and Precautions
- Before using this treatment, inform your doctor if you are allergic to it.
- Tell to your doctor if you have any medical history or current medications.
- Do not share this with others who have the same conditions as yours.
- This may make you feel dizzy. Avoid driving or using machinery.
- Consult your doctor first if you are pregnant or breastfeeding before taking this medication.
- Keep this away from the heat and the reach of children/pets.