What condition does Alogliptin-Metformin HCL treat?
Alogliptin-Metformin HCLis an FDA-approved prescription used to control high blood sugar. This medicine is used with a proper diet and exercise program in people with type 2 diabetes. Proper control of diabetes may lessen your risk of stroke or heart attack. It also helps prevent:
- Kidney damage
- Loss of limbs
- Nerve problems
- Sexual function problems
Alogliptin and Metformin HCL are oral anti-hyperglycemic drugs. This is supplied as tablets.
How does Alogliptin-Metformin HCL work?
Alogliptin works by expanding the levels of natural substances called incretins. Incretins help to regulate blood sugar by increasing insulin release. It effectively works especially after meals. They also lessen the amount of sugar that your liver makes.
Metformin HCL works by restoring the proper response of your body to the insulin you naturally create. This also reduces the amount of sugar that your liver makes and that your stomach or intestines absorb.
What is the recommended dosage for Alogliptin-Metformin HCL?
The recommended dosage depends on your medical condition and response. You must take it exactly as it is prescribed. Do not take it more often or more than it is directed by your doctor.
This medication is usually taken twice a day with food. This is to be taken as a whole with a full glass of water. Do not break or chew the tablet. For the best result, take it regularly. Let your doctor know if your condition does not improve or get worse.
Carefully follow your diabetes management plan including diet, exercise, and medications. It is important to check your blood sugar regularly as recommended by your doctor. Keep track of the results, and share them with your doctor. Inform your physician if your blood sugar levels are often too low or too high. Your doctor might require adjusting your exercise program, diet, or diabetes medication.
What are the side effects of Alogliptin-Metformin HCL?
- Back pain
- Cold symptoms such as sinus pain, sore throat, or stuffy nose
If these side effects continue or worsen, call your doctor right away.
What are the precautions in taking Alogliptin-Metformin HCL?
- You should not use this for the treatment of other conditions.
- This may have an inactive ingredient that causes an allergic reaction. Tell your doctor if you have any allergies.
- Let your doctor know if you have any medical history especially of breathing problems or kidney problems.
- You should limit your alcohol intake while having this medication. It may develop low blood sugar or increase your risk of lactic acidosis.
- Pregnancy could worsen or cause diabetes. Discuss with your doctor how to manage your blood sugar while pregnant.
- This medicine can cause changes in a menstrual cycle of a woman and increase the chance of pregnancy. Consult your doctor about using reliable birth control while taking this medicine.
- This prescription should be carefully used in older adults. Older adults may be at greater risk of side effects such as lactic acidosis or low blood sugar.
- Let your health care provider know that you have or ever had vitamin B12 deficiency or stones in your gallbladder before raking a dose of this prescription.