What condition does Atorvastatin Calcium treat?
Atorvastatin Calcium is used to lower bad cholesterol and fats like triglycerides and LDL. This is used along with a proper diet to raise good cholesterol (HDL) in the blood. Lowering bad cholesterol and raising a good one lessens the risk of heart disease. This also helps prevent heart attacks or strokes. In addition to eating a proper diet, other lifestyle changes that may help this medication work better includes:
- Losing weight if overweight
- Stop smoking
This medicine belongs to the class of drugs called statins. Statins have an important role in the prevention of heart disease and stroke. They lessen the risk of extra cholesterol being placed in the major blood vessels of the brain and heart. Atorvastatin Calcium slows down the hardening of the arteries regardless of your initial cholesterol level. This lessens the risk of needing procedures to improve blood supply to the heart. This prescription is approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA). Atorvastatin Calcium is supplied as tablets for oral use.
How does Atorvastatin Calcium work?
Atorvastatin Calcium reduces the amount of LDL cholesterol produced by the liver. LDL cholesterol is thus taken up by the liver cells as a result. This medicine also causes a small reduction in the creation of other bad fats in the blood called triglycerides and a small increase in the level of HDL cholesterol. The complete result is dropped levels of bad fats and raised levels of good fats in the blood.
What is the recommended dosage for Atorvastatin Calcium?
This is to be taken by mouth usually once a day. You may take each dose with or without a meal. Swallow the tablet as a whole with a full glass of water. Take the medication exactly as it is prescribed. Do not take more or less than it is given by your doctor. The dosage is based on your medical condition, age, weight, and response. Don’t forget to take the medicine at the same time every day. It is very significant to continue to follow the advice of your advice about diet and exercise. It may take up to 4 weeks before you get the full benefit of this drug.
What are the side effects of Atorvastatin Calcium?
- Mild muscle pain
- Dark urine
What are the precautions in taking Atorvastatin Calcium?
- You should not use this if you are pregnant, breastfeeding, or if you have liver disease.
- Tell your doctor if you are allergic to this. Call for medical help right away if there are any signs of an allergic reaction occur.
- Do not double the prescribed dosage.
- Limit alcoholic beverages. Daily use of alcohol may increase your risk for liver problems, especially when combined with this drug. Ask your doctor for more information.
- Inform your doctor if you are taking any other medicines.
- Older adults may be more sensitive to the side effects of this drug, especially muscle problems.
- Keep this away from heat and moisture.