Where is Dantrolene Sodium used?
Dantrolene Sodium is used to relax muscles that are in spasm as a result of spinal cord injury, cerebral palsy, stroke, or multiple sclerosis. It is of particular help for those patients whose rehabilitation is being slowed down by muscle spasms. This medication helps lessen muscle pain and stiffness. This will also improve your ability to move around and lets you do more of your daily activities.
This may also be used with other medications to treat and prevent special cases of high fever which is malignant hyperthermia. It is related to anesthesia and surgery. This medication belongs to the group of treatments called muscle relaxants. The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has already approved this drug.
How does Dantrolene Sodium work?
Following absorption of the capsules, your body gradually absorbs Dantrolene Sodium into the bloodstream. It is where it travels to reach its target site which is the muscles. This drug is different from the other muscle relaxant medications. It acts straight on the muscle tissues to cause relaxation. It does this by preventing the release of calcium within muscle cells, which is a key mediator in muscle contraction. This afterward leads to relaxation of the involved muscles. Dantrolene Sodium may also have centrally mediated effects like acting on the brain, but it is not known whether this is significant in causing muscle relaxation.
How is Dantrolene Sodium taken?
The recommended dosage for Dantrolene Sodium is based on your condition and response.
This is usually taken not more than 400 milligrams per day. Take it by mouth with a full glass of water. You should take it exactly as directed by your doctor. Take it at the same time each day. Do not change the dosage or dosing schedule without consulting your doctor.
Do not take this medicine at a time when you need muscle tone for safe balance and movement during certain activities. In several situations, it may be dangerous for you to have reduced muscle tone. Also, you may be more likely to develop liver problems while using this medicine especially if you are older than 35, if you are a woman, or if you also take other medicines. Ask your doctor about your risk.
What are the possible side effects of Dantrolene Sodium?
- Stomach pain
- Diarrhea as the body adjusts to this medication, which lessens after several days
What are the precautions in taking Dantrolene Sodium?
- Consult your doctor first if you are a breastfeeding woman or pregnant. If you become pregnant while taking this medication, call your doctor right away.
- Do not take this medication to treat any other complaints unless your doctor tells you to.
- This may cause drowsiness or dizziness that may affect your alertness. Do not drive or use any machinery until you know how this drug affects you.
- This is not recommended for use in children younger than 5 years of age.
- This medicine may cause life-threatening liver damage, especially if you take high dosages or take the drug long-term. Use the medicine exactly as directed.