Where is Doxycycline Hyclate used?
Doxycycline Hyclate is a medication used to treat several types of bacterial infections such as:
- Eye infections
- Intestinal infections
- Urinary tract infections
- Respiratory infections
- Periodontitis or gum disease
This medication can also be used to treat malaria. This is a serious illness that is caused by parasites. Those are transferred to people through the bites of infected mosquitoes.
Doxycycline Hyclate is clinically effective for the treatment of a variety of infections. This is known as a tetracycline antibiotic that helps stop the growth of bacteria. Doxycycline Hyclate also blocks a bacterial protein from being made. This medicine is approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA). This comes as a 100 mg tablet for oral use.
How does Doxycycline Hyclate work?
Doxycycline Hyclate acts on protein synthesis. This passes directly through the lipid bilayer of the bacterial cell wall. An energy-dependent active transport also pumps the drug through the inner cytoplasmic membrane. Once inside the cell, this medicine inhibits protein synthesis by binding ribosomes and prevents the addition of amino acids to the growing peptide chain. Doxycycline Hyclate will impair protein synthesis in some cells at very high concentrations. These cells lack the active transport system found in bacteria.
How is Doxycycline Hyclate taken?
Doxycycline Hyclate is usually taken once or twice a day by mouth. This is best taken on an empty stomach at least an hour before or 2 hours after a meal. Swallow the medication as a whole with a full glass of water. After taking a dose, do not lie down for at least 10 minutes.
If you are using this for the treatment of malaria, this is usually taken once a day. Take the first dose of this drug 1-2 days before travel or as directed by your doctor. The dosage of this medication is based on your condition and response.
What are the possible side effects of Doxycycline Hyclate?
- Weight loss
- Sun sensitivity
- Loss of appetite
- Upset stomach
What are the precautions in taking Doxycycline Hyclate?
- This medicine can cause a severe allergic reaction. Symptoms may include swelling of your tongue or throat. Tell your doctor if you have any allergies before using this medication.
- Some foods that have calcium may block the amount of this medicine that is absorbed by your body.
- Consult your doctor first if you are pregnant or planning to become pregnant.
- This should not be used in children who are 8 years old or younger.
- Do not use Penicillin and Isotretinoin together with this medication. Doing so can cause dangerous effects on your body.
- This medication may cause your skin to be more sensitive to sunlight than it is before. Even for short periods of being exposed to sunlight, it may cause skin itching, redness, rash, or other discoloration of the skin. Use protective clothing when going outside. Do not stay on skin tanning booths. Check with your doctor right away if you have a severe reaction from the sun.