What condition does Escitalopram Oxalate treat?
Escitalopram Oxalate is for the treatment of anxiety and depression. These are different disorders. However, people with depression frequently experience symptoms the same to those of an anxiety disorder. However, each disorder has its causes and its own behavioral and emotional symptoms. This medication may improve your feelings of well-being and energy level. This may also decrease nervousness.
This prescription is a selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor (SSRI). This is available as tablets for oral use. The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) already approved this medication.
How does Escitalopram Oxalate work?
Escitalopram Oxalate works by increasing the amount of serotonin in the brain. Serotonin is a chemical that helps reduce to regulate a person’s mood.
This medication also works by blocking the reuptake of serotonin at the serotonin reuptake pump of the neuronal membrane. It also enhances the actions of serotonin auto-receptors. This drug binds with significantly less affinity to acetylcholine, histamine, and norepinephrine receptors than tricyclic antidepressant drugs.
What is the recommended dosage for Escitalopram Oxalate?
This medicine is to be taken by mouth with a full glass of water. You may take each dose with or without food. This medication is usually taken once a day in the morning or evening.
The dosage is based on your medical condition and response. Take this drug exactly as it is prescribed. Do not increase your dose or use this drug more often or for longer than it is prescribed. Take it regularly to get the most benefit from it. Take it at the same time each day.
Keep taking this medicine even if you feel well. Do not stop taking this without consulting your doctor. Several conditions may be worse when this medication is suddenly stopped. Moreover, you may experience symptoms such as headache, sleep changes, mood swings, tiredness, or brief feelings similar to electric shock. To avoid these symptoms while you are stopping treatment with this medication, your doctor may decrease your dosage slowly. Consult your doctor for more details. Report any new or worsening symptoms right away.
What are the side effects of Escitalopram Oxalate?
- Upset stomach
- Dry mouth
- Weight changes
- Ringing in the ears
- Difficulty having an orgasm
- Decreased sex drive
What are the precautions in taking Escitalopram Oxalate?
- This drug may not be recommended for pregnant women. If you are breastfeeding, consult your doctor first. This medicine should only be taken when needed and recommended.
- Do not share this with those with the same symptoms as yours.
- Low levels of magnesium or potassium in the blood may also increase your risk of QT prolongation. This risk may increase if you use certain medications or if you have conditions such as vomiting, severe sweating, or diarrhea. Talk to your doctor about using this drug safely.
- Older adults may be more sensitive to the side effects of this medication. They may also be more likely to lose too much salt especially if they are also taking diuretics with this medicine. Loss of coordination can increase the risk of falling.