What condition does Fluphenazine Hydrochloride treat?
Fluphenazine Hydrochloride is used for the treatment of schizophrenia. It is a mental disorder characterized by strange speech, abnormal behavior, and a decreased ability to understand reality. Some benefits of using this medication include reduced episodes of:
- Bizarre behaviors
Fluphenazine Hydrochloride belongs to the class of medications called phenothiazines. It is also referred to as a neuroleptic. This prescription comes as a tablet for oral use. This medication was approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) in 1959.
How does Fluphenazine Hydrochloride work?
Fluphenazine Hydrochloride works by blocking the action of dopamine in the brain. Dopamine is a neurotransmitter that nerves use to communicate with one another. A neurotransmitter is an endogenous chemical that enables neurotransmission. It is a type of chemical messenger which transmits signals across a chemical synapse.
What is the recommended dosage for Fluphenazine Hydrochloride?
The recommended dosage is based on your medical condition and response. Remember to take the prescription exactly. Do not take it more often or for longer than it is prescribed. If you missed a dose, take it as soon as you remember. If you often miss a dose, call your doctor for instructions.
This tablet is to be taken by mouth. Take the medicine with food or milk if a stomach upset occurs unless directed otherwise by your doctor. Do not suddenly stop taking this medication without consulting your doctor. Use it regularly to get the most benefit from it. It may take up to two weeks for the full benefit of this medication to take effect. This medication must be taken as prescribed. Some conditions may worsen if the medication is suddenly stopped. Let your doctor know if your condition does not improve or it gets worse.
What are the side effects of Fluphenazine Hydrochloride?
Common side effects:
- Loss of appetite
- Dry mouth
- Blurred vision
Tell your doctor if you have serious side effects like:
- Weight changes
- Vision problems
- Joint pain
- Swelling of the feet or ankles
- Skin discoloration
- Unusual dreams
- Greatly increased saliva
- Feelings of restlessness
What are the precautions in taking Fluphenazine Hydrochloride?
- This medication is not recommended for use in children under 12 years old.
- Inform your doctor if you ever had an allergic reaction to this medication as well as if you have any other allergies.
- This should also not be used to manage behavioral problems in patients with mental retardation.
- Tell your doctor about your medical history or current medications including vitamins, food supplements, or herbal products.
- Do not share this with others who have the same symptoms as yours.
- Avoid alcoholic beverages. Alcohol may increase certain side effects or may worsen your current condition.
- Notify your health care provider if you used tobacco products. Cigarette smoking may reduce the effectiveness of this medicine.
- Avoid getting the medication on your skin because allergic reactions (contact dermatitis) may occur.
- This may make you more sensitive to the sun. Use sunscreen and wear protective clothing when outdoors.