Where is Glipizide-SR used?
Glipizide-SR is a prescription used for the treatment of type-2 diabetes. This condition is where the body does not produce adequate insulin. It can also be that the insulin that it produces does not work efficiently. Through this, it could cause high blood sugar levels or also known as hypoglycemia.
People with diabetes need treatment to control the amount of sugar in tier blood. Good control of blood sugar levels decreases the risk of complications later on. For some individual, they can control their blood sugar levels by making changes to the food they eat. On the other hand, for other people prescriptions such as Glipizide-SR are recommended alongside the changes in diet.
How does Glipizide-SR work?
Glipizide-SR is an FDA-approved medication mostly prescribed by doctors because of its effectiveness in lowering blood sugar levels by causing the release of your body’s natural insulin. This is a type of medicine called sulfonylureas that works by releasing insulin from your pancreas. Insulin transports sugar from your bloodstream towards your cells where it belongs. Therefore, it reduces your blood sugar levels.
How is Glipizide-SR taken?
The dosage of this prescription might be different for you and others. The amount of drugs that you take depends on the strength of the medicine. Follow the instructions of your doctor carefully and don’t change them unless you consult your doctor.
- Children: The usage and the dose should be determined by your doctor. The dosage for children is based on their age, condition, and response.
- Adults: 5 mg is taken once a day. Each dose is taken 30 minutes before breakfast. Your doctor might adjust your dosage if needed.
Try taking the medication at the same time each day. It will help you remember to take them. Also, if you forget to take a dose, take it right away after remembering. If you don’t remember it until the following day, skip the missed dose and do not take two doses together to make up for the missed one.
What are the possible side effects of Glipizide-SR?
What are the precautions in taking Glipizide-SR?
- You must keep your regular appointments with your doctor. This will help you monitor your condition’s progress.
- Your doctor might recommend that you test for blood sugar levels regularly to know if it is well controlled. Your doctor will show you how to do it.
- It is very important to follow the advice given to you. If you have been told to change your diet, stop smoking, or take regular exercises, do it.
- You need to make sure that you know what it feels like if your blood sugar is too low. If it occurs, eat something that has sugar and follow it up with a snack of banana or sandwich.
- Hypoglycemia or low blood sugar might happen if you are ill, exercise more than usual, or drink a lot of alcohol.
- If you drive, you must take extra care. Your ability to drive can be affected if your condition is not well controlled. It is advised that you check your blood sugar before traveling and you need to have snacks with you on long drives.
- Drinking alcohol is not suggested if you are taking this prescription. If you do have a drink, have it moderately.
- Diabetes treatment could be life-long. Continue to take this medicine unless you are advised by your doctor otherwise.
- If you buy any medications, check you’re pharmacists that they are appropriate for you to take. Some medicines could interfere with Glipizide-SR.