Isentress (Raltegravir) is used to help control HIV infection. This helps to lessen the amount of HIV in your body. Lessening lets your immune system work better. This lowers your chance of getting HIV complications. Raltegravir will also improve the quality of your life.
This medication is not a cure for HIV infection. To lessen your risk of spreading the disease, you may do the following:
- Always use an effective barrier method like polyurethane condoms or dental dams
- Continue to take all HIV medications exactly as it is prescribed
- Do not share personal items like syringes, razors, or toothbrush
How does Isentress (Raltegravir) work?
Raltegravir is one of the medications that lower the amount of virus in the body. This helps the immune system to recover. Therefore, it slows and stops the progression of the disease for HIV to AIDS.
A combined anti-HIV medication is required to fight HIV. Since the virus can become resistant to one agent very quickly. This prescription is used with other HIV drug that attacks the virus in many ways. Raltegravir lessens the virus’s capability to reproduce and grow. This will also help prevent it from becoming resistant to treatment.
Why use Isentress (Raltegravir)?
Isentress contains Raltegravir as an active ingredient. This is a type of anti-HIV medicine known as an integrase strand transfer inhibitor. That it blocks the virus from growing and infecting more cells. This is available as tablets for oral use. Each tablet is available in 400 mg strength. The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has already approved this prescription.
How to use Isentress (Raltegravir)?
This medicine is to be taken by mouth with a full glass of water. This is usually taken twice a day. You may take it with or without a meal. Remember to take it at the same time and in the same way each day.
The recommended dosage is based on your medical condition and response. Take each dose exactly as it is prescribed. Let your doctor know if your condition does not improve or if it worsens.
What are the side-effects of Isentress (Raltegravir)?
- Stomach pain
- Tired feeling
- Sleep problems
Warnings and Precautions
- Tell your doctor if you have any medical history or current medications.
- This drug may have an inactive ingredient that causes an allergic reaction. Tell your doctor if you have any allergies.
- Do not increase the dosage or change the dosing schedule without consulting your doctor first.
- Changes in body fat may occur while having this drug.
- You should not breastfeed if you are taking this medicine.