Where is Minocycline Hydrochloride used?
Minocycline Hydrochloride is a prescription used for the treatment of a wide variety of infections. This may also be used along with other medicines to treat severe acne. Minocycline Hydrochloride is a medication already approved by the Food and Drug Administration. This is in the class of drugs known as tetracycline antibiotics. This stops the growth and development of certain bacteria that cause the condition.
How does Minocycline Hydrochloride work?
Minocycline Hydrochloride is active against the bacteria associated with acne. It is a common variety of bacteria that feeds on sebum made by the sebaceous glands in the skin. It creates fatty acids and waste products that irritate the sebaceous glands. It also makes them inflamed and causing spots. By controlling bacterial numbers, Minocycline Hydrochloride brings the inflammation of the sebaceous glands under control. It also allows the skin to heal.
For a wide variety of infections, this medication stops the bacteria from growing and increasing in numbers.
How is Minocycline Hydrochloride taken?
The dosage is based on your medical condition and response to the treatment. You should take this medication exactly as it is prescribed. Do not take more or less or more often than it is given by your doctor. Your doctor may start giving you at a lower dose and gradually increase it.
Minocycline Hydrochloride is to be taken by mouth usually every 12 hours at least an hour or 2 hours before a meal. If stomach upset occurs, taking it with food or milk may help. Do not lie down for at least 10 minutes after taking a dose of this medication. Remember to take it at the same time and in the same way every day. Even if you feel well, continue to take this prescription. Do not suddenly stop taking this without consulting your doctor.
What are the precautions in taking Minocycline Hydrochloride?
- This medication is not recommended in children under 12 years or for women who are breastfeeding or pregnant. Minocycline Hydrochloride can be deposited in the baby’s growing bone which may affect their development.
- People with kidney failure should also not take this medication.
- If you are allergic to Minocycline Hydrochloride, let your doctor know right away. If you have any allergies, tell your doctor. This drug may have an inactive ingredient that causes an allergic reaction.
- Some people might need a lower Minocycline Hydrochloride dose or extra monitoring. Make sure your doctor knows if you have kidney or liver problems, taking medicines that can have side effects on the liver, or you have an inflammatory condition.
- You may need to lower your dose if you have myasthenia gravis.
- It’s possible that if you drink an excessive amount of alcohol with this medicine, it could increase the risk of getting side effects on your liver.
- Before you take Minocycline Hydrochloride, tell your doctor if you are taking other medications including herbal medicines or those bought without a prescription. Also, always check with your doctor before taking any new medicines while you’re taking Minocycline Hydrochloride.