Norethindrone Acetate and Ethinyl Estradiol are used as contraception to prevent pregnancy. This medicine is also used to:
- Decrease your risk of ovarian cysts
- Decrease blood loss and painful periods
- Make your periods more regular
- Treat moderate acne in women who are at least 15 years old and have started having menstrual periods
How does Norethindrone Acetate and Ethinyl Estradiol work?
Norethindrone Acetate and Ethinyl Estradiol work by preventing the release of an egg during your menstrual cycle. It also makes vaginal fluid thicker to help prevent sperm from reaching an egg. Through that, the lining of the uterus to prevent attachment of a fertilized egg is changed. If a fertilized egg does not attach to the uterus, it passes out of the body.
Why use Norethindrone Acetate and Ethinyl Estradiol?
Norethindrone Acetate and Ethinyl Estradiol is a combination birth control pill that has female hormones. This is a continuous dosage regimen of a progestin-estrogen combination for oral use. Each white tablet contains 1 mg of Norethindrone Acetate. The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has already approved this pill.
How to use Norethindrone Acetate and Ethinyl Estradiol?
This prescription is to be taken by mouth usually once daily. Pick a time of the day that is easy for you to remember. Don’t forget to take each pill at the same time each day. It is important that you take it exactly as it is prescribed.
With certain brands of birth control pills, the amount of estrogen and progestin in each active tablet will be different times in the cycle. Therefore, it is very important that you follow the package instructions to find the first tablet. Start with the first tablet in the pack and take them in the correct order. You should not skip any doses. If you missed a dose, call your doctor right away.
What are the side effects of Norethindrone Acetate and Ethinyl Estradiol?
- Changes in vision
- Chest pain or discomfort
- Dark urine
- Dizziness or light-headedness
- Loss of appetite
- Itching skin
- Unusual tiredness or weakness
Warnings and Precautions
- Before using this pill, tell your doctor if you have any allergies.
- Do not use this pill if you are pregnant.
- This is not recommended if you have a history of heart attack, blood clot, or stroke.
- You should not share this with others.
- Tell your doctor if you have ever had liver problems, asthma, migraines, or a thyroid disorder.
- Keep this at room temperature away from moisture and heat.