What condition does Paliperidone Palmitate treat?
Paliperidone Palmitate is an antipsychotic drug used to treat certain mental or mood disorders:
- Schizoaffective disorder
This type of disorder is a chronic mental health condition. It is characterized primarily by delusions or hallucinations, mania, and depression.
This is a psychological illness characterized by strange speech and abnormal behavior. It is also characterized by a decreased ability to understand reality. Other symptoms include lack of motivation, hearing voices that do not exist, and emotional expression.
Paliperidone Palmitate is an atypical antipsychotic. This medicine is a psychotropic agent belonging to the chemical class of benzisoxazole derivatives. This product has already been approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA, 2006). This is available as white to off-white sterile aqueous extended-release suspension for intramuscular injection.
How does Paliperidone Palmitate work?
Paliperidone Palmitate works by restoring the balance of certain natural chemicals in the brain. This medicine may also work by:
- Decreasing hallucinations
- Helping you think more clearly and positively about yourself
- Taking a more active part in your everyday life
- Letting you feel less agitated
What is the recommended dosage for Paliperidone Palmitate?
This prescription is given by injection into a muscle at the upper arm or buttocks. Usually, the first 2 doses are given 1 week apart in the upper arm. After that, the medication is usually given to the upper arm every month. It is important to take it exactly as it is prescribed. To help you remember, mark the days on the calendar when you need to receive the medication. The dosage is based on your condition and response.
Continue using this medicine exactly as prescribed, even if you are feeling better and thinking more clearly. Do not stop using this medicine without first consulting your doctor. Tell your doctor if your condition persists or worsens. Keep in mind that your doctor has prescribed this medicine because they judged that the benefit to you is greater than the risk of side effects. Lots of individuals using this medicine do not have serious side effects.
What are the side effects of Paliperidone Palmitate?
- Weight gain
- Upper respiratory tract infection
- Urinary tract infection
- Injection site reactions (swelling, redness, pain, and hard lump)
What are the precautions in taking Paliperidone Palmitate?
- Before using this medicine, let your doctor know if you have any medical history.
- Do not stop or change the dosage without talking to your doctor.
- Tell your doctor if you have any allergies.
- Let your doctor know right away if your condition persists or worsens.
- This drug may make you feel dizzy. Do not drive or use any machinery that needs alertness until you can do it safely.
- Avoid doing things that may cause you to overheat. This drug may make you sweat less and makes you more likely to get heatstroke.
- Older adults may be more sensitive to the side effects of this drug.
- This medicine may make you sweat less which makes you more likely to get heatstroke. Avoid doing things that may cause you to overheat such as using hot tubs or exercise in hot weather.