Quetiapine Fumarate is used to treat certain mental/mood disorder such as:
- Bipolar disorder
Bipolar disorder is a mental health condition that causes extreme mood swings. It also includes emotional highs and lows. Episodes of mood swings may occur rarely or multiple times a year. While most people will experience some emotional symptoms between episodes, some may not experience any. Symptoms can cause unpredictable changes in mood and behavior resulting in significant distress and difficulty in life.
Schizophrenia usually appears in late adolescence or early adulthood. It is characterized by hallucinations, delusions, and other cognitive difficulties. This is a chronic brain disorder that requires lifelong treatment. Schizophrenia involves a range of problems with thinking, behavior, and emotions. Signs and symptoms may vary but it also reflects an impaired ability to function.
Depression is classified as a mood disorder that may be described as a feeling of sadness or anger that interferes with a person’s everyday activities. People experience this condition in different ways. It may interfere with your daily work that results in lost time and lower productivity. It can also influence relationships and some chronic health complications.
Quetiapine Fumarate is in the class of medications called antipsychotic drug which is an atypical type. This helps to restore the balance of certain natural substances in the brain. This medication can lessen hallucinations and may improve your concentration. It helps you improve your mood, appetite, energy level, and helps you feel less nervous. It will also help you think more clearly and positively about yourself and take a more active part in your everyday life. The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has already approved this prescription. Quetiapine Fumarate is supplied as an extended-release tablet. Each tablet is available in the dosage forms of 50 mg, 150 mg, 200 mg, 300 mg, and 400 mg.
How does Quetiapine Fumarate work?
Quetiapine Fumarate affects various neurotransmitters specifically serotonin (5HT) and dopamine. Neurotransmitters are chemicals stored in nerve cells. These are involved in transmitting messages between the nerve cells. Dopamine and serotonin are neurotransmitters known to be involved in regulating behavior, mood, and thinking. This medication works by blocking the receptors in the brain that dopamine acts on. This prevents the excessive activity of dopamine and helps control symptoms of certain psychotic illness. Quetiapine Fumarate improves symptoms such as disturbing thoughts, hallucinations, feeling depressed, and having a lack of emotion or becoming withdrawn. The psychotic illness appears to be caused by disturbances in the activity of neurotransmitters in the brain.
How to use Quetiapine Fumarate?
The prescribed dosage is based on your condition, age, and response to the treatment. Your doctor may direct you to start at a lower dose and eventually increase it. Quetiapine Fumarate is to be taken by mouth with a full glass of water. Drink plenty of fluids while having this treatment. Doing so may lessen the risk of certain side effects. It is usually taken 2 to 3 times a day or as directed by your doctor. Remember take it at the same time and in the same way each day. You may take each dose with or without a meal. Swallow the tablet as a whole. Do not break, chew, or crush it. You must take this medication exactly as it is given by your doctor. You should not take less or more often than the prescription.
Take it regularly for the best result from this product. If you missed a dose, take it as soon as you remember it. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and continue your regular dosing schedule. Do not double the doses to make up for the missed dose. Call your doctor right away if your condition gets worse or does not improve.
What are the side effects of Quetiapine Fumarate?
- Loss of appetite
- A burning feeling in throat or chest
- Stomach pain or cramps
- Heart palpitations
- Angina-like chest pain
- Vision problems
- Changes in sleep habits
- Loss of coordination
Tell your doctor right away if you have these serious side effects:
- Eye pain
- Vision changes
- Muscle pain
- Unusual sweating or shakiness
- Severe dizziness
- Sudden change in a heartbeat
- Persistent nausea and vomiting
- Yellowing eyes or skin
- Extreme tiredness
- Change in the amount of urine
- Dark urine
- Easy bruising or bleeding
- Unexplained fever or signs of infection
- Signs of low blood sugar (unusual sweating or shakiness)
Get emergency medical help if you have any signs of an allergic reaction such as:
- Trouble breathing
- Swelling of throat, lips, tongue, or face
Warnings and Precautions
- It is important to continue taking this even if you feel well. Do not suddenly stop taking Quetiapine Fumarate without the consent of your doctor. It may worsen your condition.
- Let your doctor know if you have any medical history especially of seizure disorder, thyroid problems, high cholesterol, diabetes, and stomach/intestinal blockage.
- If you have any allergies, tell it your doctor right away. Inform also your doctor if you ever had an allergic reaction to this product.
- This may make you sweat less making you more likely to get heatstroke. Avoid doing things that may cause you to overheat. Drink a lot of fluids and dress lightly when the weather is hot.
- If you have current medications including vitamins or herbal supplements, tell to your doctor.
- Some people have thoughts about suicide while taking Quetiapine Fumarate. Stay alert to changes in your mood or symptoms.
- This is not approved for use in older adults with the dementia-related condition.
- While having this treatment, avoid drinking alcohol. Dangerous side effects could occur.
- Avoid getting up too fast from a sitting or lying position, you may feel dizzy.
- Never share your medicines with others and use this medication only for the prescribed condition.
- You should know that this drug may make you drowsy. Do not drive or use any machinery that needs your alertness.
- This is not recommended for use in pregnancy or breastfeeding women.