Where is Ramipril used?
Ramipril is used for the treatment of hypertension or high blood pressure. Lowering high blood pressure helps prevent kidney problems, heart attacks, or stroke. This may also be used in patients who have had a recent heart attack. This is used to cure heart failure and used to improve survival after an attack.
Ramipril belongs to the class of drugs called angiotensin-converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitors. It keeps the blood from flowing smoothly throughout the body. This drug comes as an oral capsule. The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has approved this medication in the year 1991.
How does Ramipril work?
ACE inhibitor expands the arteries and veins by competitively inhibiting the conversion of angiotensin I to angiotensin II. It is a strong endogenous vasoconstrictor. By preventing bradykinin metabolism, these activities cause preload and afterload reductions in the heart. This also supports water excretion and sodium. It happens through delaying angiotensin-II made by aldosterone secretion. The elevation in potassium may also be detected. The ACE inhibitor also produces Renoprotective effects through vasodilation of renal arterioles. This lessens vascular remodeling and cardiac associated with heart attack, myocardial infarction, and chronic hypertension.
How is Ramipril taken?
The dose for this medication will depend on your condition and response. The medicine is usually taken one to two times a day. Each dose is to be taken by mouth with or without a meal. Swallow the tablet as a whole with a full glass of water without chewing or breaking it. If you have the difficulty in swallowing it, you can mix it in half a glass of water or apple juice (4 ounces). Use this regularly and as directed by your doctor.
Remember to take each dose at the same time each day. To decide the correct dose for you, your doctor will ask you if you’re getting any side effects and check your blood pressure. Depending on why you are taking this medication, the usual starting dose is between 1.25 mg to be taken once a day and 2.5 mg to be taken twice a day. The dose will gradually increase depending on your progress.
What are the possible side effects of Ramipril?
- Tiredness or weakness
- Stomach pain
- Sore throat
What are the precautions in taking Ramipril?
- Before using this medication, tell your doctor if you are allergic to it or if you have any allergies.
- Consult first if you are a pregnant or breastfeeding woman. This medication should only be taken when needed. Never take a dose without consulting your doctor first.
- Call your doctor if your condition does not improve or it gets worse.
- You must follow any dietary advice that has been given to you. It can include advice about eating a healthy diet, taking regular exercise, and not smoking.
- Inform your doctor if you have any problems with the way your kidneys work, a particular type of poor circulation, collagen vascular disease, heart muscle disease, or dialysis treatment.
- Keep this away from the heat and away from the reach of children or pets.