Where is Zaleplon used?
Zaleplon is a short-term treatment for insomnia. This is a type of medicine called a non-benzodiazepine hypnotic. It works on certain centers in the brain to relax you and help you fall asleep faster.
Insomnia may be characterized based on its duration. This is a common sleep disorder that can make it hard to fall asleep or cause you to wake up too early and can’t go back to sleep anymore. Insomnia can affect not only your mood and energy level but as well as your quality of life, work performance, and health
How does Zaleplon work?
Zaleplon acts in the brain to aid sleep, specifically on receptors in the brain called GABA-A receptors. Wherein, it causes the release of a neurotransmitter called GABA in the brain. It acts as a natural nerve-calming agent and aids to keep the nerve motion in brain instability. It is also involved in decreasing anxiety, relaxing muscles, and sleepiness.
This medicine lessens the time taken to fall asleep and increases the total amount of time spent sleeping. Still, it is only appropriate for short-term treatment of insomnia. As when used for longer periods, it has a potential for dependence and addiction.
How is Zaleplon taken?
Zaleplon is to be taken just before going to bed at night. This medicine is not taken after a big meal as recommended. It can delay the time it takes for it to get into the blood. The dosage is based on your medical condition and response to the treatment. Since Zaleplon is usually prescribed for a short time, your doctor will tell you when to stop taking it or when to cut back.
Take Zaleplon by mouth with a full glass of water. This medication works very quickly so it’s important to take it just before or when you get into bed. Your doctor will inform and work with you to find the dose that fits you. Within 2 hours, you must not eat a high-fat meal before taking this medication. It may prevent the drug from working well. Do not take it more often, increase your dose, or use it for a longer time than prescribed. Inform your doctor if your condition gets worse or does not improve.
What are the precautions in taking Zaleplon?
- Zaleplon should be used with caution in elderly people, decreased liver or kidney function, long-term breathing problems, those with a history of alcoholism, or people suffering from depression.
- This is not recommended for use in people with myasthenia gravis, in children or adolescents under 18 years old, or those with a rare hereditary disorder of galactose intolerance.
- This medicine causes drowsiness. For this reason, do not drive or operate any machinery, wait until you know how Zaleplon affects you.
- If you are a pregnant or breastfeeding woman talk with your doctor first before taking Zaleplon. This drug might affect the development of an unborn baby and this may not be suitable for breast milk.
- Inform your doctor if you are taking any other medications including vitamins, herbal, or food supplements.
- If you drink or have ever drunk a large amount of alcohol, tell to your doctor before taking Zaleplon.